Brainstorm Management Consultants Ltd intends to run training on Advanced Administration and Secretarial Management course to be held at the Bontana Hotel, Nakuru. We are inviting you and your staffs to participate in this programme and hope it may meet your training needs.
|Dates||2nd – 6th November, 2020|
|Location||Bontana Hotel, Nakuru|
|Fees||Kshs. 85,000 + 16% VAT Non Residential|
|Application Deadline||30th October, 2020|
Summary of the Programme:
Times have certainly changed, and the role of the executive administrator and the secretary has evolved enormously. Executive administrators and Secretaries have shown their flexibility, their dedication and their commitment to their evolving role by expanding their skills and competencies to meet the needs of a changing workplace. Through all the changes in technology and business structures, secretaries have emerged in a stronger, more important position than ever before. Current trends are showing that today’s ‘secretary’ (or ‘administrative professional’, as she is becoming more commonly known) is using even broader skills in management functions and technology.
Currently most secretaries and personal assistants take on office management responsibilities and manage the day to day running of office activities or taking on a team of staff to help. This can be very challenging as not only will their workload increase but they will be required to use skills they have never used before. In the current setup, most secretaries and personal assistants are expected to improve and have leadership and management skills in order to set effective and strategic administrative priorities. In addition, they must have skills to manage all contacts, create, store and retrieve documents, plus a broad variety of other secretarial administrative skills. To do all of this successfully, secretaries and personal assistants are required to have strategic insight and be able to innovate better processes at the same time be tactical, process-oriented, and driven toward continuous improvement. This training provides a wide range of skills to help secretaries and personal assistants handle any work challenge with greater confidence and effectiveness to help them leave with a complete toolkit of managerial effectiveness and develop an action plan of best practices that can help improve an organizational operations and plan how to apply immediately when they return to their workstation.
This training is meant for secretarial and personal assistants who have attended Brainstorm Management Consultants past trainings on this programme or those who have attended and any other staffs that may need to improve their skills on secretarial duties including, administrative assistants or other members of the administrative support staff who need to expand their management skills so they can better support their organization and enhance their careers.
The main aim and objectives of this training would to assist participants to:
- Provide students with the knowledge, skills attitudes and competencies to function in the modern office environment
- Develop awareness of the principles, policies, procedures and technological competencies involved in office administration
- Develop technical, planning, organizing, management and problem-solving skills necessary for functioning in a modern office environment
- Provide students with the capability to adapt to changes that impact the business environment
- Help students appreciate the wide range of attitudes, attributes and behaviors necessary for success and advancement in the world of work
- Lay the foundation for career development and further studies in the business field
- Develop the competency to choose from a wide range of career paths in the business field
- Acquire knowledge and skills that would allow them to pursue further education in related fields of business
- Acquire skills to conduct self-directed investigations into alternative procedures and systems that may assist in maximizing the output of the office
- Develop proper work ethics, social responsibility, and integrity that contribute to promoting a positive image of the organization in which they are employed
- Develop the self-esteem and confidence to make an easy transition from school to the world of work
At the end of this training, your staff participants will be able to
- Set and negotiate goals, priorities and urgency in partnership with your manager(s);
- Organize your day and manage time (deadlines, meetings), drop-in visitors and time-wasters
- Manage conflicts, difficult people, crises and awkward situations assertively
- Make your manager(s) more effective; improve your working relationship; assume more leadership and managerial responsibility without the benefit of authority; build empowerment-inducing habits
- Clarify your role and excel in working with peers, multiple managers and demanding clients;
- Practice in a friendly atmosphere and seek guidance from the seminar leader
- Make your job more meaningful, build trust, and take charge of your career growth beyond the present position.
- Learn how to effectively plan and coordinate workflow and productivity
- Develop skills and techniques of working with all difficult and demanding personalities.
- Understand the methods of minute taking and report writing
- Develop effective communication techniques
- Understand how to run an office effectively.
- Eliminate the bad habits that may be hurting the administrative staff credibility.
- Clearly understand the managerial role and its requirements
- Effectively manage organisational resources
- Manage projects write effective progress reports and deliver powerful presentations.
Programme Outline and Contents
Day One (1).
8.30 a.m. Introduction and administration
8.45 a.m. Ice breakers, Openness, Leveling expectations and enhancing proximity
9.00 a.m. Managing the Changing Secretarial Roles and Functions
- Introduction to the changing roles, responsibilities and functions of secretarial duties
- Develop key secretarial and clerical skills required by the modern organization
- Define and apply the new roles of secretarial duties to meet modern challenges
- Discuss the roles of the modern PA are in view of these fast changing environments,
- Learn the key management skills secretaries need to deal with all internal and external stakeholders
- Discuss how to stay ahead and understand how to handle work related roles
- Identify ways of broadening secretarial roles and opportunities to increase responsibilities
- How to clarify secretarial roles and excel in working with peers, multiple managers and demanding clients
10.30 a.m. Break
11.00 a.m. Improving Information Flow and Communication Management.
- Learn how to ensure that the message is accurate, specific and unambiguous.
- Understand how to utilize the best communication technique to convey the message to the receiver in right form
- How to effectively improve information flow and workplace communication
- Discuss how communication can flow most effectively in an organization
- Improving the effectiveness of overall communications, including frequency and quality
- How do to monitor and improve internal communication
- Provide people the information they need to do their jobs effectively
- Learn elements of effective communications planning, including information distribution and performance reporting.
- Tools and organisational measures to improve information flow
- Manage all secretarial workplace communications more effectively
13.00 a.m. Lunch
14.00 a.m. Planning and Coordinating Secretarial Workflow and Productivity
- Discuss how to plan and organize secretarial work activities
- Learn how to streamline work process and improve workflow
- Providing direction on how to prioritize daily tasks and deal with potential obstacles
- How to keep secretarial work flow procedures in balance and not spend too much time in any unnecessary activity.
- Develop and implement secretarial improvement plans based on best practices and feedback from staff and customers
- Organize the office and coordinate work space to allow for smooth, efficient service operations.
- Keep planning and organizing work activities simple in order maximize effectiveness.
- Establish realistic priorities to accomplish tasks as a tool to balance, prioritize, coordinate, and schedule secretarial and clerical tasks.
- Day One (1) summary
Day Two (2)
08.30 a.m. Review of day one (1) activities and setting the days goals
09.00 a.m. Develop Effective Strategies to Improve Secretarial Operational Effectiveness
- Improving the delivery of secretarial services
- Develop strategies to improve secretarial operations effectiveness
- Embrace a culture of continuous service improvement
- Balance effectiveness and efficiency in delivery of secretarial service operations
- Create and control secretarial procedures by analyzing operating practices to improve performance.
- Resolve secretarial duties problems by analyzing information, identifying and communication solutions.
- Maintain rapport with customers, bosses, and employees by improving coordination, setting priorities, resolving problem situations.
- Learn how to maintain suggestion system by directing and controlling secretarial technical aspects in accordance with departmental needs.
10.30 a.m. Break
11.00 p.m. Delegation and Influencing Management
- Create quality standards for a motivating and productive office environment
- Exhibit greater competence and confidence in assigning work and responsibilities
- Foster greater teamwork, cooperation, and collaboration through clear explanation of secretarial roles and authority
- Prevent miscommunication when setting tasks and expectations
- Influence peers and team members to share roles and responsibilities
- Learn to assign responsibility for achieving results rather than unloading tasks.
- Discuss how to handle more difficult assignments with effective delegation
- Learn how to manage common staff barriers to effective delegation
- Analyze the role influence plays in the modern workplace
- Interpret the links between your natural emotions and influence
- Create a situation-specific influence strategy
13.00 p.m. Lunch
14.00 p.m. Implement Workplace Information Systems for Secretarial Operations
- Management of ICT facilities by secretaries in the execution of their tasks
- Understand office technology competencies, their usage as well as their impact on the secretary’s productivity
- Application of appropriate systems to collate and analyse the office information.
- Use of ICT facilities appropriately to improve secretarial duties efficiently.
- Prepare team for changes or implementation of new systems.
- Learn how best to use office application programs in supporting secretarial duties
- Learn how ICT can improve the quality of work in the office, enhance secretarial roles and improve productivity
- Day two summary
Day Three (3)
08.45 a.m. Review of day one activities and set out the day two objectives
09.00 a.m. Structuring and Managing Effective Meetings
- Develop tools to evaluate the effectiveness of meetings
- Methods of handling difficult meeting situations such as domination and off track
- Factors affecting how best to run and identify and work with meeting’s objective
- Recognize the critical planning step that makes meeting time more effective
- Identify and use the different types of meetings
- Identify process tools that can help create an open and safe forum for discussion
- Develop and practice techniques for handling counterproductive behaviors
- Strategies for balancing discussion, staying on track, and managing participants.
- Understand the value of meetings as a management tool.
10.30 p.m. Break
11.00 p.m. Workplace Ethics Management Improvement
- Discuss how to act ethically in all matters related to the office management operations.
- understand and manage highly diverse values in the workplace
- Learn how to integrate ethics into all aspects of organizations communications
- Develop how to set up and encourage an ethical workplace to follow up with any ethics concerns seen, or heard from the team.
- Critically analyze the prevailing work ethics and their impact on departmental performance
- Identify factors that have negative effects on employees’ attitude to work;
13.00 a.m. Lunch
14.00 p.m. Health, Safety and Security Management at Work
- Coordinate acute response to emergencies and develop a safe work procedure
- Identify how to calculate, assess and control risk
- Understand their own responsibilities and accountabilities
- Develop a simple, clear, well-communicated procedure to report accidents (including near misses), injuries & illness, and potential hazards in the workplace.
- Handle dangerous goods and specific aspects of the health and safety plan.
- Regularly inspect the office/workplace to identify changing conditions or activities that may compromise safety.
- Produce an action plan to prevent a recurrence of an incident
- Day three (3) Summary
Day Four (4).
08.30 a.m. Review of day three (2) activities and setting the days goals
09.00 a.m. Developing Secretarial Service Quality Recovery Framework
- Analyse service challenges to ascertain secretarial service delivery gaps
- Develop secretarial service recovery framework to address service delivery gaps
- Evaluate the effectiveness of secretarial service recovery strategies
- Create a framework for dealing with customer care emotions
- Know the elements of an effective service recovery strategy
- Manage service failures effectively
10.30 a.m. Break
11.00 a.m. Project Risk Management
- Develop project risk management plans
- Identify project risks related to scope, schedule and resources
- Devise metrics to monitor and control project risks
- Understand the techniques involved in risk identification and analysis
- Understanding different risk management techniques
- Evaluating risk probability and impacts
- Applying optimum risk control techniques
- Mastering the process of efficient risk management
13.00 p.m. Lunch
14.00 p.m. Document Control and Records Management
- Understand document and record control requirements
- Document control methods and how to identify, secure, protect and retain critical information
- Identify risks associated with poor management and discuss how to mitigate them
- Discuss how to document and control records management development process
- Learn how to effectively maintain and manage documents and records
- Develop key techniques and approaches to organizing and managing documents and records in an effective way
- Learn the most common reasons for poor documents control and discuss how to improve on the process
- Day four summary
Day Five (5).
08.30 a.m. Review of day four (4) activities and setting the days goals
09.00 a.m. Public Relations and Management Planning
- How to analyze of the situation is the crucial beginning to the process.
- How to set objectives and formulate a clear, defined plan that’ll help the organization achieve an optimum result in the media.
- Assessing and Planning PR activities effectively
- Developing tools and tactics of managing PR activities within the organization
- How to achieve a mutual understanding and to establish beneficial relationship between the organization and its publics and the environment
- Identifying the key components of a PR Strategy
10.30 a.m. Break
11.00 a.m. Personal Branding and Career Planning
- Understanding why having a ‘personal brand’ is important and the relationship your brand has with (i) your values and (ii) your alignment with an organizations values.
- How to master the process of mapping out a career trajectory and acquiring the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to take the next step.
- How to improve your personal brand and career development plan work hand-in-hand in setting you up for the best chance at success.
- How to develop your unique career plan and portfolio.
- Understanding the importance of networking as a career management strategy
- Understanding ways to manage your online presence
- Evaluation and closing remarks
13.00 p.m. Lunch